Its January again and everyone is like a bull in a china shop going full steam ahead with their new year’s resolutions of Diet’s, Gym Memberships and Detox’s for the month. We think it is fantastic that so many people at once are so health conscious and are doing their upmost to make a difference to their weight and lifestyle.
However wouldn’t it be great if for once we all didn’t have to go through this crazy phase that sometimes is an “overwhelming” experience and becomes so intense that it is unsustainable and by February we’ve all had enough? We all blame ourselves when we fall off and feel like we have “failed” but it’s not our fault.
Wouldn’t it be great if we didn’t spend most of the year “on” and “off” the wagon?
We can’t spend all of our lives on a Diet, hammering the gym 5 X per week or starving ourselves.
Imagine never having the stress of being on a “Diet” ever again! But feeling well, in good shape and living a balanced lifestyle?
Now there is no “easy” route to getting fit, healthy and losing weight (unlike what so called experts have you believe) BUT there is an easier less frustrating way that can last a lifetime. Yes really!!
A “lifestyle” is the answer, a lifestyle that we create over time for the “long term”. Making positive changes that work, that are healthy and that become as normal as brushing your teeth every day. Eventually turning bad habits into occasional treats, good habits, every day habits and finally being able to find that “happy balance”.
In this blog we advise that you take 1 of these resolutions per month and spend that month only focusing and making that ONE positive change to become a habit for good. These 12 Tips will eventually create HUGE results over the next 12 months so that next January you don’t have to stress or go through all of this again.
Here it goes 12 resolutions to change your health and body shape in 2013…
- Drink water and maximise hydration - A hydrated body is the first most important step before embarking on any type of health or weight loss kick. The human body is made up of 70% water so this vital to get right. Tip: Aim to consume 1 litre of water for every 50lbs you weigh. This will help keep you hydrated and speed up fat loss.
- Avoid Diet sodas and drinks - Many of us drink diet sodas because we are tricked into believing that they contain “no sugar” and are less fattening. Wrong! Diet drinks can label and market as low calories, no sugar and less fattening, HOWEVER they do not mention that they contain “Aspartame”, a chemical sweetener that is a 200 times stronger than sugar and has a devastating effect on our bodies fat levels. Tip: Avoid or reduce your fizzy drink intake by half and avoid after 12pm, replace with water. If you do drink fizzy drinks as a treat opt for full fat.
- Low fat = Get fat - We would strongly advise you avoid ALL low fat products including yoghurts and sauces. The problem with low fat products today is they are marketed and labelled as less calories and fat, however the fat is stripped and replaced with the white enemy “Sugar”. Aim to only consume the full fat options if you must including full fat butter and full fat bio live natural yoghurt. Tip: Remember we need good fat to lose fat so get yours from avocados, seeds, nuts, coconuts, and oily fish, etc.
- Control blood sugar levels – The most important action you can take for fat loss is maintain a balance in your blood sugar levels, do this by avoiding anything that contains more than 5g of sugar per serving. NOTE: Excess sugar=Excess fat gain. Simple!
- Kick the Cardio - Steady state cardio such as running, X-trainer, cycling, walking and aerobics will only burn 1/5 of the amount of calories that HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) will. HIIT training is the most effective way to burn fat. Tip: Try this, 20secs of fast running or cycling followed by 20secs of recovery for 5minutes.
- Introduce MRT - MRT is Metabolic resistance training. MRT is so good for fat loss today that there is nothing else as quick and effective. Why? Because it is all about boosting our natural metabolic rate (the rate our body burns calories. Tip: Create the “Afterburn” effect and burn thousands of calories for up to 24hours after this MRT workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjFZrPOvhuA
- Get complex with your carbs - It’s time to say goodbye or dramatically reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates if you want to increase energy and decrease your waistline. These include bread, pasta, rice and white potato. Why? Because they are either heavily processed, contain wheat and gluten or cause our bodies to gain and store fat. However do not panic as Complex carbohydrates are going to be your main source or carbs and these are healthy, tasty foods such as: Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, all vegetables, grains, legumes, brown rice, quinoa and rye toast etc. Tip: Aim to consume carbohydrates on the days you work out.
- Throw away the calorie calculator - Avoid living your life by calories, sins and points! It’s time to start eating when you’re hungry, stop when you are full and just think about the foods you are putting into your body. Calorie restricting and starvation diets will only lower your metabolism and we all now know what that does! Less is definitely not more. Tip: Stop looking for fat and calorie content on foods and look for wholesome natural foods and check sugar content.
- Ditch the Sit-ups and Crunches - Sit ups and crunches are extremely out dated, cause lower back and neck damage as well as do nothing for your that six pack. Aim to lose fat from your tummy by eating correctly, doing MRT workouts and doing “Core” work for your tummy toning such as planks and hill climbers. Tip: Try this core workout 2-3 times per week or add into your current workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU5YpqNwP2Q
- Always eat breakfast - Yes this sounds very cliché but it is very important. Eating breakfast is like putting fuel into your car for the journey ahead, the journey being your day ahead! Skipping breakfast and not eating for hours will affect blood sugar levels and result in you craving a carb or some sugar. Your breakfast will also kick start your metabolism for the day providing it’s the right breakfast. Tip: Aim to eat breakfast within 45minutes of getting up on a morning.
- Not So Special K - Cereal is the quickest and tastiest breakfast for most of us with a busy lifestyle; however it is one of the most damaging foods to our health and waistline. Cereal was once nutritious as a whole grain or wheat before being highly processed through a chemical process called extrusion to make into its shapes and to make it last its sell by date of around 6-12months. Not to mention being coated in sugar or chemicals. Tip: Opt for more natural foods at breakfast time such as eggs.
- Get Help – Embarking on a health kick, exercise regime or Healthy eating plan is never easy on your own and requires motivation, support and expert advice. Look for a company or coach whose training principles are in health and wellbeing as well as effective fat loss. Avoid cheap companies who promise quick fixes, fad’s and promote shake diets etc. Remember it is an investment in your health!
Here’s to your success in 2013!
Helenlee Whalley & David Wilkinson – Lifestyle Coaching experts & Co-owners of dh fitness studio www.dhfitness.com
If you require any further info or support on the above please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org